Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 10 Post Op...eye on the prize!

I am having a pretty good day today!! In fact, I am thinking I might even treat myself later, and sit on the patio for a bit! My goals going forward are focussing on my exercises, increasing my endurance and cutting back on meds.

I woke up at 8am and took one Percocet (normally at this time I take 2) along with my Sencot (LOL anyone who's ever been on pain meds knows the biggest downside to them...constipation! My worst enemy!)

I jumped in the shower (ok...maybe I didn't jump...I hobbled slowly into the shower) and got ready for my therapy. She left around 10am and I was pretty sore, so I grabbed an ice pack and turned on Oprah's 20th Anniversary DVD collection. :) Ahhh...the joys of having no real responsibilities! 

I stayed in bed for about 4 hours and even caught a couple hours of sleep! I woke from the pain and figured I better take another Percocet around 2pm. My plan is take one pill every six hours, and night time I will take two. If I find that my pain levels are too high during the day (maybe after therapy/activity) I will take an additional half. I am noticing a big difference in my mindset the last couple days while I've been cutting back. I get that I need the meds to keep the pain at bay, but I really hate how they make me feel (both mentally and physically). I think everyone is different....me personally....I am not scared of feeling more of the pain during the recovery process as I wean. As long as I don't get over a 4-5, I am good.

Right now the pain levels are pretty consistent. I feel pain in my butt (consistent) and occasional pain that radiates from my hip, into my thigh, down to my foot. I am also feeling a lot of pain when I try to sit in my butt and the front of my hip. I notice a big difference between this surgery compared to my hip scope. The main differences are the types of pain, the fact that at this stage I was able to go outside for short walks on my crutches and that I get very sore and tired quickly.

So, I wouldn't say any ground breaking improvements yet. Trying to keep my eye on the prize!

Tonight my mother in law leaves. :( She has been such a huge help to me this week with cooking, cleaning and laundry. It's been really nice to have some company and we've gotten to watch lots of good movies.

The good news is my mom is coming to take over after the long weekend on Tuesday!  I am looking forward to spending some time with her and hoping I'll be well enough to do a couple short outings. So my hubby will have to attempt some meals until the next shift takes over. :) Meal preparation, laundry and cleaning is essentially impossible given I really can't bare to stand for long periods or bend over. I don't plan on having another left hip surgery any time soon, so I am definitely not going to compromise my recovery!

Anyway...I am off to do my exercises! Then I might take a walk down my condo hallway! Not quite outside....but definitely a few steps closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment